Author Topic: FOXPRO Crossfire  (Read 1142 times)

Offline JustinR

• HMPC Member
FOXPRO Crossfire
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Overall I am not satisfied with this caller.  It was a refurbished deal at Cabela's for 60% off.  I'm glad I didn't pay the full $400 price.
Pro:
Remote has great range, I have had no issues with 100 yards of separation.  Batteries in the remote never seem to die.  It has been used for over a year and still has full battery strength.  Back light on the remote is very useful and the buttons are glow in the dark.

Cons:
The presets have distorted and abrupt transitions.  If you tap the remote against a gun or rock the caller automatically starts playing Call #1 at max volume.  Battery life (8x AA) is terrible in cold weather.  With new Duracell batteries, I experienced less than an hour of play under 40 degrees.

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
Re: FOXPRO Crossfire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:50:07 PM »
Thanks for signing up Justin, you're the first member to do so, so you win the prize.  You get to smoke me more ribs!!!! They were delicious, thank you and Michelle for a wonderful evening.

Have you tried changing the presets, that may help the distortion, also does your caller have Foxbang, sounds like it does, may also want to change that.  I wouldn't be concerned about battery life here in Az with temps under 40 degrees.

I have two FoxPros and Steve C has one and we are both pleased with ours, FoxPro makes a good product, but I think Wildlife Technology is just a tad better, just my opinion and we all know about opinions.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland

Offline Droptine26

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:35 AM »
For cold weather, spend the money and buy lithium rechargeable batteries. I bought my original set from Foxpro about 15 years ago and they are still running strong. I live in NJ now and have no trouble with them in temps in the single digits. If the crossfire has the fox bang feature activated, that is why it changes to your first preset. You can turn it off, or you can adjust the sensitivity of the foxbang feature. Hope this helps!
If you still have issues with it, give Foxpro a call. They have outstanding customer service and can usually walk you thru an issue over the phone.

Offline JustinR

• HMPC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
I did learn the FoxBang was causing that issue but have not found an option to adjust sensitivity.  I just tried non-lithium rechargables and got exactly 30 min before it was dead at 50-60 degrees.  Rechargable lithiums are my next route but I am starting to think this refurbished unit still has gremlins.  Thanks for the advise.  I honestly didn't know rechargable lithiums we're a thing until recently.