Author Topic: Cougar attack kills 1, injures another 30 miles east of Seattle  (Read 554 times)

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
NORTH BEND, Wash. — One man is dead and another has been injured in a cougar attack in Washington state, authorities said Saturday.

The two men were on a morning mountain bike ride in the foothills near North Bend when the attack occurred, King County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Ryan Abbott said.

The cougar ran into the woods and officers with the Washington Department of Fish and Game are trying to track it, he said.

North Bend is about 30 miles east of Seattle. The injured victim, who is in his 40s, was airlifted to a hospital there with unspecified injuries.

8 things to know about cougars -- and sightings -- in Oregon

8 things to know about cougars -- and sightings -- in Oregon

The statewide population of cougars is growing, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. Agency officials said that anecdotally the number of cougar sightings in the metro area and north Oregon coast is rising -- especially the number of confirmed sightings.

A search and rescue team has been dispatched to recover the body of the deceased man.

KIRO-TV reported that the injured man called 911 shortly before 11 a.m. and shouted, "Can you hear me? Help!" and then the call hung up.

Authorities found the cougar standing over the body of the dead biker, the station reported.

It wasn't immediately clear if the two victims were biking together or separately.

No further details were immediately available.
What to do if you come across a cougar
- Cougars often will retreat if given the opportunity. Leave the animal a way to escape.
- Stay calm and stand your ground.
- Maintain direct eye contact.
- Pick up children, but do so without bending down or turning your back on the cougar.
- Back away slowly.
- Do not run. Running triggers a chase response in cougars, which could lead to an attack.
- Raise your voice and speak firmly.
- If the cougar seems aggressive, raise your arms to make yourself look larger and clap your hands.
- If in the very unusual event that a cougar attacks you, fight back with rocks, sticks, tools or any items available.
— Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife

There's never been a fatal cougar attack in the wild in Oregon, an official told The Oregonian/OregonLive in 2017.

Over 6,000 cougars live in Oregon, according to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife. It's rare for people to see or encounter them, the agency said, but sightings have increased.
I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland

Offline Orangeandwhitebrits

Re: Cougar attack kills 1, injures another 30 miles east of Seattle
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »
I live within 45 minutes of this incident and thought I would post more details, and the fact that the Cougar was tracked, killed and sent to the lab for a necropsy to see what if any issues were present. I think these folks did not react well, by running away during the attack on one biker. However, the injured man was not thinking clearly, my opinion
C.Webber

(CNN)A cougar appeared to be stalking two cyclists as they biked over the weekend in the Cascade Mountains near Seattle. Suddenly, the animal charged, a survivor of the animal's attack that killed one told authorities.

The man said he hit the cougar in the head with his mountain bike, and the animal ran into the woods. But as he and the other cyclist were catching their breath and getting back on their bicycles, the animal returned and fastened its mouth on the survivor's head, crunching down, shaking the cyclist side to side like prey, King County Sheriff's Sgt. Ryan Abbott said Sunday, describing the man's account.
The cyclist managed to get loose when the cougar decided to chase his friend, who was running away, according to Abbott.

Cougars almost never attack humans. But here are possible reasons this one did.
The two cyclists were attacked along a trail Saturday morning in North Bend, Washington, the King County Sheriff's Office said.
"It's an incredibly tragic story," Capt. Alan Myers of the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife said Sunday. "It's extremely unusual for a cougar to act this aggressively on humans."
Myers told CNN affiliate KOMO in Seattle that the cyclists did not provoke the attack.
The man who survived is Isaac Sederbaum, 31, said Myers, who identified the deceased as S.J. Brooks, 32.
The King County Sheriff's Office initially said the two cyclists were men. The sheriff's office then on Monday identified Brooks as a woman, using a birth name -- Sonja J. Brooks -- at the request of the cyclist's parents. Brooks went by the pronoun they, according to a bio on the website of the cycling group Friends on Bikes, where Brooks is listed as the Seattle chapter leader. The group's efforts are focused on women of color and trans- and gender-nonconforming people of color in an attempt to increase diversity in cycling.
Brooks was bitten in the face, legs and neck, and Sederbaum's injuries included bite and tear marks and claw scratches on his head, neck and face, Myers said.
Sederbaum underwent surgery and remains in the hospital, according to Abbott. As of Monday, he was in satisfactory condition.
When the cougar released him, Sederbaum jumped back on his mountain bike to get away. As he looked back, he saw the cougar dragging Brooks into the woods, Abbott said.
He rode 2 miles for cellphone reception to call 911, according to KOMO.
When sheriff's deputies located Brooks, the cougar was standing on top of the cyclist's body, Abbott said. Brooks had been "dragged a short distance to where the animal partially buried the body under a log," Myers said.
An officer fired a shot at the cougar but missed. However, the animal was spooked and ran off, Abbott said.
Soon after, dogs arrived and tracked down the cougar, which was in a tree 80 feet from Brooks' body, Abbott said. Fish and wildlife officials euthanized the animal, Myers said. A necropsy will be performed to try to determine what provoked the attack, including any disease.
Authorities said it was the second cougar attack death in Washington state in 100 years.
CraigW

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
Thanks for the update Craig.  If and when they release the result of the necropsy could/would you please let us know.  It may be that cougar just don't care for - oh well never mind.
I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:36 AM »
"The King County Sheriff's Office initially said the two cyclists were men. The sheriff's office then on Monday identified Brooks as a woman, using a birth name -- Sonja J. Brooks -- at the request of the cyclist's parents. Brooks went by the pronoun they, according to a bio on the website of the cycling group Friends on Bikes, where Brooks is listed as the Seattle chapter leader. The group's efforts are focused on women of color and trans- and gender-nonconforming people of color in an attempt to increase diversity in cycling."

This paragraph does not add anything to this story. The public does not need to know that this person was not able to understand what nature provided............
Craig W
CraigW

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
This is an update to the information posted regarding the cougar attack in Washington. "Officials say an examination of the cougar believed to have killed one mountain biker and injured another near North Bend found no abnormalities that might have contributed to the animals unusual behavior." So now the only thing left is to confirm the identity of the cougar when the DNA testing analysis is returned. My question is, why do they not have DNA results already? Seems like they should release a complete report.
CraigW