Author Topic: Smith&Wesson MP 15  (Read 980 times)

Offline Orangeandwhitebrits

Smith&Wesson MP 15
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:46:43 AM »
I have not done any predator hunting, but want to give it a try. I currently own a S&W MP 15 5.56/.223 rifle without optics. I am looking at a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-12 scope and would like some input as to whether that combination will be a good place to start. I have also been advised to buy a range finder in order to correctly judge ranges. Appreciate any assistance you have to offer.
CraigW

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
Re: Smith&Wesson MP 15
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Craig - I don't think you can go wrong with any Vortex scope.  A 4-12 seems to be a popular choice now a days and I have a few on my coyote rifles.  Not very often do I use any beyond the nine power setting.  When calling often times a coyote will appear out of nowhere and if you have your scope set on a high setting all you see is fur.  If he hangs up at a long distance I'll try to "beg" him in with a squeaker, if that doesn't work I'll set my scope up to a higher setting and try for the shot. 

As far as rangefinders I have a cheap Simmons that I bought from Sportsman's Guide.  If I remember correctly I paid $105. for it.  My calling partner has a high end Leupold and when comparing distance out to 500 yards we only vary by about five yards.  I do recommend  one. 

Hope this has been of some help and maybe some others will chime in.

Merry Christmas,
John     
I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 09:56:10 AM »
John-Thank you for the information. I hope that while I am in Arizona, we can meet and chat about predator hunting. If there is an opportunity to go out and sit with a person who can show me a few tactics and techniques, I would welcome that.
CraigW

Offline JustinR

• HMPC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
I have put a Vortex Strike Eagle on a couple of my rifles.  It is pretty nice glass for the cash.  A friend and I compared it side by side with a Vortex Razor HD.  At 1x there was not a noticeable difference.  As you increased the magnification, the Strike Eagle required some fine focus to match the clarity of the Razor.  I intended to buy the Razor but for $1,000 less I couldn't justify it.  My wife shoots our varmint tournament with one on a AR-15 out to 420 yards.  Optics planet normally has sales on it in the mid to low $200's.

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 10:11:00 AM »
Some good advice there, I have looked through Justin's Strike Eagle and if I was in the market for a new scope I would buy the Strike Eagle, however at the present time I am scope poor. 

"Whenever the pressure of our complex city life thins my blood and numbs my brain, I seek relief in the trail; and when I hear the coyote wailing to the yellow dawn, my cares fall from me - I am happy." - Hamlin Garland

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 10:50:53 AM »
Craig - Check out Scopes and Hunting Optics.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 01:48:10 PM »
After a bunch of research I chose a Nikon scope for my AR-15. It is a 4-12 40mm, and I successfully zeroed it yesterday. I am pleased with the fact that I can hit a target at 100 yards and even out to 200 yards. I am now looking forward to a chance to try it out on some predators. Thanks for all the input and information from everyone.

CraigW

Offline JohnP

• Administrator
  • Alfa Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 06:13:55 PM »
Check your busy social calendar for the 29th, temps should be 66, winds 7mph and partially cloudy, if you can escape I can pick you up at about 0600.  If the  coyote gods smile upon you this may be your future.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
Sounds good, and I hope I can make a sure strike on a coyote.
CraigW